Wednesday 12 October 2011

Investing in Awesome

So, I've wanted to be a voice over artist for years. This project is really just the incentive, the push to actually commit to the idea, but I've wanted to do it since I was old enough to realise that it was a job. And now, here I am looking into the field, and it's more than a little scary. It's scary because I'm committing to the realisation of a dream, it's scary because I'm very close to putting myself in a position where I may be told I'm not good enough, and not least of all, it's scary sheerly because of the amount of time and money you have to invest.

It's understandable, primarily. If you want to make good recording, you need good equipment. That's one cost there. Then you can look at online directories like voices.com or piehole.co.uk which, while they seem really helpful and friendly, and are a perfect way into the industry for new voices like myself, don't really come cheap. Free or cheap memberships usually only provide you with the most basic of listings, with very little help or support. Again, it makes sense; a paying customer is more valued to any business, and these directories are, first and foremost, businesses.

The fact that all the expense is completely justifiable almost makes it worse, because it's as if you are saying to yourself "if you truly believe you're good enough at this, you can and will commit. If you believe this could be a profession, paying £64 for an indepth analysis of your voice is a small downpayment to help you along your path". Scary, huh?

Yes, piehole.co.uk is my site of the week for helpful yet scary revelations; they allow you to download or recieve a free copy of their book of tips and advice on technique and ettiquette. This has been amazingly useful, and I'm going to follow up with an adaptation of their plan to help my own developement. Howeer, they also offer, for the price of £64, an in-depth, over the phone analysis of your voice, including advice on where your strengths and weaknesses are, what you should improve and what your next steps should be. A service like this is amazingly tempting, and looking at the site's credentials, I have to say that I would have my utmost trust in them, but the question of price is something that I'm going to have to think about. I'll keep you posted on that one.

In other news, this week I was further inspired by Mr Rob Paulsen, and his amazing podcasts in which he discusses the nature of being a voice actor, along with anecdotes and information on how the job works. The only drawback is that he is of course referring to American voice over, which is mostly geared towards animation for companies such as Warner Brothers, Disney and so on. If I could find a British equivalent, it would be much more helpful, as I knowBbritish voice over to be geared more towards adverts, radio, and only the occasional narration or animation spot.

But, for now, my research continues, as do my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment